"Look....my little unemployed waif"


the shirt, the sunglasses, the tuck

the slouch dress

the granny ash and watch

the black pant: slightly high-waisted and above the ankle, the tucked in button down, the messenger bag



Basically in the late eighties, early nineties when my parents got divorced they set me up with a TV and VCR in my room --I think somehow they replaced what should have been therapy with said TV/VCR.  This new magical device instantly became my new babysitter, comfort blanket and companion.   Movies became a huge deal for me, in 1990 I watched Pretty Woman so many times that my personality was somewhat molding into that of “Viv “(Julia Roberts) character, not the call girl aspect but the charming, whip smart, quick witted persona she evoked. When Reality Bites came along in 1994 I was mesmerized by Winona Ryder’s character: “Lalana Pierce” I remember being in the theater and being really excited about what I was watching, its almost as if I knew that this movie would stay with me for many moons.  I wanted to emulate her every move, I bought a slouch dress, hiked up my knickers and tucked my button downs; I even chopped my hair into the same messy mop top and started smoking (bad choice there).  Her best friend Vicky  (played by the lovely Janeane Garofalo) also lent qualities for a young impressionable me, there is still not but a few weeks....ok or days (if that) that goes by that I don't quote some line from that movie-- 18 years later, and still laugh every time!